MTB 2021

A forum
Bob T

MTB 2021

Post by Bob T » Mon May 24, 2021 4:44 pm

After the skiing season took an early exit, I slunk into a traditional post-season funk. In late March, listening to the fire/ems pager about a suicidal male on the bridge over the CT river I thought, "oh, he must be a skier".

A few weeks later, I retrieved the mountain bike from the garage attic where it had been stored for 5+ years when the current crop of dogs were puppies. After pumping up the tires, all systems seemed good. The first time out I chose a 500' climb over a mile out and back route and couldn't believe how out of shape my biking muscles were! This seriously motivated me. I began riding almost daily.

My favorite ride is a 15 minute drive from the house and is 4.5 miles with 1000' of climbing. It's got a little air in it, a mile of super technical get-thrown-over-the-bars stuff, views of the Whites and the Grotons, moose tracks, regular twilight coyote howls and barred owl hoots, and a beaver pond with a resident engineer that the dogs have almost sort-of learned not to swim after. I love the full-body, push-pull, redline quality of MTB'ing. It's such a great workout. Plus it's really easy to find technical challenges that require more than brute strength and endurance to solve. Fun fear/finesse problems.

Telehubby

Re: MTB 2021

Post by Telehubby » Tue May 25, 2021 11:58 pm

Hey Bob, welcome back to the two wheeled, full suspension side of life! Man five years is a long time. I have to say mtb trail building has come a long way in a short time. It’s so nice to be able to ride out your driveway and get a trail ride in. You are well located to sample some excellent trail systems. Try PRKR MTN in Littleton, post ride beers at Schilling of course. I don’t know if you’ve Nordic skied at Green Woodlands but their mtb trails are insane. Park at the lot off rt.118 in Dorchester, you won’t be disappointed. Usually open for biking June 1 but they’re open now.

Thanks for the new thread

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Thu May 27, 2021 9:19 am

Bob, I'm intrigued. That looks like the Fairlee Town Forest, or maybe Wright's Mountain, but not quite either. Am I warm?

Nevermind! Found it on the internets. Tucker Mountain Town Forest. I'll have to check it out soon.

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Sun May 30, 2021 6:54 pm

Lee and I walked up to the summit of Tucker Mountain from the west side today, in a steady rain. Lovely spot! I'll go back on a dry day soon, and check out Woodchuck Mountain as well.

Bob T

Post by Bob T » Mon May 31, 2021 9:03 pm

Good sleuthing, Dirk! The home zone is indeed Tucker/Woodchuck. You'll want to climb/push the east side of Woodchuck and descend the west, which is actually really nice for a trail built without mountain bikes in mind. You can drop Tucker's upper Putnam trail for techie fun.

TH, the PRKR trail map is insane! All of that is right off of downtown?! I'll have to check it out. Green Woodlands as well. Thanks.

Dark Drop

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:03 am

Nice photos Bob. It's fascinating to see a natural area that can be reclaimed while still being open to ATVs, that's pretty hard to pull off.

vt_trees

Post by vt_trees » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:22 pm

MTB for the win! Looks like Bob has been spending his money upgrading his ski quiver and not the bike stable. Old Nomad with 26" wheels? What a beast! I rode PKRMT a few years back. What a gut punch tooth rattler. And that was on the flats. Some good rake and ride is "almost" the equivalent to 10" of freshies in the BC. Almost.

Bob T

Post by Bob T » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:59 pm

(ok, we're back in action --- an automatic update botched up the site --- all better now)
vt_trees wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:22 pm
... upgrading his ski quiver and not the bike stable. Old Nomad with 26" wheels? What a beast!
Pretty much not upgrading either! The Nomad is a happy beast. Point and shoot in moderate terrain. Stable in challenging terrain. Your comment did make me wonder what's happened in the MTB world recently, not that I've had time to explore that! I'm sure things are lighter?

The last "bouldering problem" in a super technical stretch that I've conquered every part of --- except this. Doesn't look like much in the pic, but it's a short steep climb with roots that --- I can't figure out. There's a feature that eats speed and then you have to accelerate upward from scratch and there must be a trick, but.

Vroom!

vt_trees

Post by vt_trees » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:22 pm

Bob T wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:59 pm
Your comment did make me wonder what's happened in the MTB world recently, not that I've had time to explore that!
Lighter frames, wider handle bars, more gears, larger wheel diameter, fatter tires, dropper posts, just to name a few. I dropped out of the mtb and BC skiing world when my kids were young. Much of both worlds past me by and it took a while to get back up to speed. In the end its about being outside rolling and sliding. 26" wheels and a steel frame, 29" wheels and a carbon frame, leather and three pins, plastic and Meidjo, who cares as long as you're enjoying yourself.

Ride one! Keep noodling that boulder problem. You'll get it.