A forum
Bob T

Re: Tracks!

Post by Bob T » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:55 pm

Mission accomplished.

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:11 pm

Yikes! Is that your knee? I would have gone to the hospital, not breakfast.

Bob T

Post by Bob T » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:15 pm

Forearm. Road rash from our friend the orchard descent. Freaking Rossi BCX-10 bedroom slippers do great as long as you don't try to turn with them. Should have walked it.

robroymeans

Post by robroymeans » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:47 pm

Whoa! You okay Bob?

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:49 am

Heal up, Bob.

My friend Ben lives up in Stannard, and yesterday we poked around in the Steam Mill Brook Wildlife Management Area. What a beautiful place. 11,000 acres of northern hardwood forest, high altitude ponds and bogs, and tons of wildlife sign, including moose and coyote. This is Kingdom Tele Boys turf, but all we ran into was one rabbit hunter.

The snow was surprisingly good, considering, but there were lots of tricky drainages to reckon with. The photo is of Ben leading me around the shore of Stannard Pond. I'd love to come back when there's enough snowpack to really let 'em run.

Bob T

Post by Bob T » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:38 pm

Arm is fine Rob, thanks for asking. Gorgeous shot, Dirk. Would like to join, if you go back for more.

25-Dec

A little recon on the westside.

Wild Snow Bear.

Ammo ravine.

Is is snack time yet?

26-Dec

Rare winter rockpile weather window. Step 1, thermos fill at Maia Papaya, in Bethlehem.

Climb climb climb!

Our destination, the Mt. Monroe rubble pile.

Coo summits.

Roo too.

Found what we were looking for. Somewhat skiable sun-cupped windpack on the lee side.

Ruby says this is an unsafe descent!

Cooper says, no it's not.

Squint for radical turns trivialized by bounding dog tracks.

A little bit of runout.

Skis back on the pack.

More snacks.

Scouting the return trip.

Back down we go.

robroymeans

Post by robroymeans » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:36 pm

CaninesRule! Monroe Brook looks like it needs a little more snow...

O'dark thirty start from home. Slick and firm, but not bad for skinning on the Tuckerman Ravine Trail. A bit under an hour and a half to Hojo's. The Bowl was fully socked in so I went over to the Sherby and went up to the Hillman's Junction. The plank was there, but it was over open water.

Spring-like conditions on the Sherburne, but mostly firm in the middle. It was skiing so I enjoyed the run, but it was not pleasant. Decent cigar though...

robroymeans

Post by robroymeans » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:46 pm

Adventure skiing with BobT is always a treat. Ruby and Cooper joined in the fun with doggish enthusiasm, to wit, they covered about 11 miles, maybe 12. Bob and I covered 7.4 miles. We gained almost 2600 feet of vertical but the dogs may have gained much more.

Disappointed by the scant snowfall, we went up into The Zone anyway. Low tide didn't affect the up, but the down through the rocky sections was seriously impacted.

Low snow was one thing but it looked like a bomb went off at 3200 feet. The twenty or more blowdowns were quite dispiriting. There was a scattering of downed trees of various sizes in other places too.
Uptrack blocker had to be cut away
StogieSelfie
Waiting for the dogs to get a drink

Three feet of snow will improve things quite a lot. Till then I have a little work to do.

UPDATE, New Year's Day:
I checked my skis today. The edges had some burrs which I smoothed out. The bases were barely marked by a few shallow scratches which did not require any p-tex.

Bob T

Post by Bob T » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:30 pm

Rob, thanks for guiding in the Zone! Had not been back to this location in a few seasons and you and your cohort have done an amazing job with both the up and the down. Embarrassingly, my GoPro is lost somewhere in the house(!), but when I find it I hope to post some photos of the wicked fun descent. Rob's description of thin cover is only because he's used to generous conditions up there. Definitely not plush, but plenty to turn and maneuver in.

Bob T

Post by Bob T » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:32 pm

Actual conversation with B this evening after posting the above.

B: did you find your camera?
me: no and I've looked everywhere. even in the fridge.
B: have you looked under the couch?
me: yes, extensively.
B disappears into the den, and returns 5 seconds later with the camera which was under the couch.

Unfortunately the GoPro got covered with snow early in the descent which then melted which caused a big blob in the top middle of the frame. Thus heavy croppage. Chest mount next time.

Parting shot from this evening: Butterfield loop. Quite a lot of snow back there (Dirk!). Used the Rossi bedroom slippers again and nailed the orchard descent by snowplowing the heck out of it.