Wöstern Whites Wäffel Haus '15-'16

TRs rescued from TelemarkEast before its demise
Bob T

Wöstern Whites Wäffel Haus '15-'16

Post by Bob T » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:29 pm

There were many candidates for the name of this thread: WW El Nino Appreciation Society, WW Willing Workers, WW Wait Wut?, WW Alien Megastructures, etc. However, Waffël Haus won ... probably has to do with the umlaüts.

The pack and I have been out and about over the last week. As of this morning, we actually have enough snow to keep ski base destruction down to a dull roar. Don't have much for pics yet.

Zeke memorizing the way to the trailhead so presumably he can return home after he wanders off/chases something into oblivion. First dog I've had that doesn't have the velcro gene.

Traditional "freeing of the mice" at the trailhead. Our house is producing about two per night at this point in the winter.

Dead dog found lying on the trail.

On the fly forest maintenance.

WMNF exploration.

Snäck time.

The horizon.

Bob T

moonlight

Post by Bob T » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:47 pm

Out last night skiing with the dogs. No headlamp needed. Crappy photo, but beautiful to be out in the moonlight.

Bob T

hounds

Post by Bob T » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:49 pm

Out with the hounds again last night and they picked up the scent/actually heard/saw something and took off yelping and I thought "great", inspired by the moonlight, plenty cold enough to cause problems if they break through ice or just don't return for a while. 5 minutes later all three of them showed up acting scared. Wonder what happened...

It's really hard to gather gear at 7pm and head out when there's a fire going inside. But every time we do, it's worth it. This is a 2.6 mile 750' up/750' down tour that I never tire of. Forgot to put "mushers secret" wax on C and R so the long hair around their paws was icing up. Zeke is apparently designed for snow and never has a problem. Was out on T4/Vectors/Switchbacks which was fine.

Bob T

Tuckerbrook Coppermine Trailhead Variation

Post by Bob T » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:50 pm

Tuckerbrook is a great, relatively low-risk bc tour. Goodman has a comprehensive description of this tour, except he recommends parking on Wells Rd. which is a crap shoot. You can get towed from there. Instead you can park legally on Coppermine Rd. at the Coppermine trailhead and cut over from there. That's what the houndz and I did yesterday.

If traveling with furry friends, prepare everything carefully because there are lots of people and cars on this road on the weekend PLUS quite a few of the homes have dogs and they have their fill of off-leash mayhem. Crack car door when ready.

Tie up the most unruly houndz and proceed up Coppermine Rd.

Once at actual Coppermine Trail, release houndz who are mostly interested in chasing forest things and leave the public alone. Mostly.

Note that the the Coppermine Trail is super popular and therefore terribly eroded and full of rocks that only disappear when there's a lot of snow.

About half a mile in you will reach a ramp that ascends up to the left, leaving the Coppermine trail along with its icy/rocky conditions as well as the people who produce that.

Stow your dog containment technology and proceed up ramp. You might want to put skins on here.

Promptly lose two of the dogs who are heard yelping off into the distance. Imagine bad big city ski tourist people from Cannon who take your dogs. Talk yourself down from that. Wait for dogs at right off of ramp trail about a quarter mile up from Coppermine intersection. This will allow you to schwack directly to TB. Or you can stay on the ramp trail which will intersect TB much lower down in about half a mile. Dogs return FIFTEEN minutes later.

The schwack climbs a few hundred feet vertical and sometimes navigates along clandestine MTB trails.

Pop out on TB near big tree that was cut through last season.

Proceed up a way or really long ways if you want. It's 3 miles long so you can dial up as much or as little pain/pleasure as you like. The bottom 2 miles are a blue square. The top mile full of switch backs and bumps is a black diamond. There's cell coverage, but I would expect something like a solid hour or more before the cavalry arrives in response to a call. Self-rescue is always your best option. Note that it's skied off here. You can count on this unless you've got first track after a storm. This is a popular trail that connects to the top of Cannon. It sees a lot of traffic.

Stop and feed doggies.

Have a snack yourself fending off pups as necessary.

Let 'er rip hopefully keeping dog explosion at safe distance.

About a half mile up from Tuckerbrook Rd. bang a left at this unmarked intersection with the ramp trail and enjoy some k & g with occasional down back to the car.

Bob T

forest dogs

Post by Bob T » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:51 pm

Wonderful snow fall last night. Just enough fluff over barely enough base to go out and play on the Coyote Express- a logging trail/schwack, parts of which were inspired by following coyote tracks. It's 2.28 miles long with about 1000' of vert, the gps says. Needed to put on clear lens oakleys it was snowing so hard. Also stuffed a tip and crashed for the first time this season. Hurts good, kind of like a first sun burn. Looking forward to the big freeze that's settling in now to seal off the open water in the woods.

The coyote cousins are always very interested in the real coyote tracks. In India they call coyotes "forest dogs".

We were out on the same trail on Sunday as well.

Bob T

cold freaking wind

Post by Bob T » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:53 pm

From yesterday, operation code name: "cold freaking wind". First few hundred yards, I couldn't figure out whether my hands were warming from exertion or going numb from cold. Half mile in they began to warm. Wanted to setup the camera for some action shots, but it died. Even the normally impervious Z was not having fun. Need to wax the skis! Cold slow snow.

Bob T

buildings and food

Post by Bob T » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:54 pm

More songs about buildings and food.

Bob T

crazy girl

Post by Bob T » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:55 pm

Crazy girl exploring a detached ice island. The other dogs looked on in a panic.

Bob T

lion

Post by Bob T » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:56 pm

Went hiking immediately west of the rockpile and was pleasantly surprised by the cover. Renewed my faith in winter 2016. Could have skied it. Will be interested to hear what RR finds on his tour.

Bob T

dismal

Post by Bob T » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:57 pm

On Saturday the dogs and I went over to the west side of the rockpile looking for turns. It was pretty dismal. Ice with confectioner's sugar on it. Pretty day to be out though.