Game on! '18-'19

TRs rescued from TelemarkEast before its demise
Bob T

Game on! '18-'19

Post by Bob T » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:01 pm

Pre-game contribution. From the lofty heights of Mt Eustis yesterday evening. Prezis shining in the distance.

Bob T

from "oldschool"

Post by Bob T » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:02 pm

From the Western Lands -- Connections

Went out yesterday to make the connections once again - I try to get out to our local park/catchment basin in the city here to make a little loop of about a mile or mile and a half, whatever it is, to check the box of that location for the year and remind myself of what I enjoy in life and why I look forward to this season. We got a dump on Thurs. evening of about 8 to 10 inches here - very wet heavy snow. Of course Friday turned out to be a stupid busy work day for me at the close of a generally exhausting week, so I failed to roll out of bed early that day. Saturday morning rolls around and the slow melt down of 34-36 degrees has been on and it's getting thinner but still well covered. The picture below shows my kit for messing around on a moment's notice - my regular poles, and a pair of no-wax touring skis I was given by my late neighbor. We moved into our house here 19 years ago and he was our neighbor and became our good friend until last fall when a year and a half decline after a broken hip along with prostate cancer ended a long and amazing life at 92. Five years ago he had still been going strong making a mile plus hike or commuting to his lake house/cabin in a john boat with a pull start motor by himself. The skis in the picture were some that I think he bought during a trip to Sweden or Norway and had in the basement. For all I know, he might have been using them into his 60's. I still think of him a lot and skiing on those skis now provides another connection. These days I often don't ski very fast - if I'm with other folks sure, but for this kind of tramp it's more of a snow-shoe than any kind of sustained kick and glide effort. Of course there were little downhill shots to be tried and the odd turn around a tree to gain the feel and balance once again that I enjoy so much. Another connection being to my youth when I discovered the sport with friends, bought my own skis and used to do my homework after dinner and then put a pair of Haugen-Sunfjords on, wool socks and wool knickers, Asnes wood Tur-Langren skis over my shoulder and walked to the end of my block to put them on and work my way through some field edges and woods trails into the orchards near my house to ski that by moonlight for an hour or two. Finally, it's a connection to all the good folks here who share this passion in it's different forms. Have a great holiday -

Bob T

from "flyingcow"

Post by Bob T » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:03 pm

Trapps didn't suck

Bob T

early season

Post by Bob T » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:04 pm

Bob T

tooling around

Post by Bob T » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:04 pm

Last night tooling around in the fluff. Glad it's about to get cold - snow's a bit sticky.

This morning.

Bob T

last few days

Post by Bob T » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:05 pm

Scenes from the last few days/nights. Actually bc skied a bit, as in through the woods and turns and stuff.

Bob T

from "telehubby"

Post by Bob T » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:18 pm

It's been a November to remember! I guess it's time for a photo dump.

I'm loving everyone else's photos so far, keep them coming.

Back on Nov 17 made the first turns in the "back yard"

Hit up Cannon on opening day. Excellent snow, Son The Younger

And yesterday's ski date, one shot is screen grab of a two second video. Crappy resolution sorry. Not sure who is poodling in the background.....
ImageImage

Bob T

xmas tree

Post by Bob T » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:19 pm

Snow is really nice in the cleared parts of the woods in my zone. A bit of fluff on maybe a foot of refro. Not enough to go everywhere, but enough to play. Came across a 18' downed fir top last night. Didn't have a saw so hitched the whole thing to the pack and towed/slid it half a mile to the car.

Bob T

from "RobRox"

Post by Bob T » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:23 pm

We went Christmas tree hunting todsay, taking a break for skiing at Ski Bradford. SB was free to all...very in the Spirit!
ChristmansEve2018_small.jpg
ChristmansEve2018_small.jpg (165.13 KiB) Viewed 500 times

Bob T

from "telehubby"

Post by Bob T » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:25 pm

Little slow around here lately. We need some snow to up the enthusiasm level. Maybe this week. My daughter has taken a temporary position in Basel. My cousin's son is doing graduate work there as well so she has family close. She additionally has about 90 relatives in country between my uncles and aunts cousins and all the kids in her generation. She made it to the Bernese Oberland to ski in my mothers home town this weekend.

Gratuitous Photo, enjoy!