Game on! '18-'19

TRs rescued from TelemarkEast before its demise
Bob T

trail sharing

Post by Bob T » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:27 pm

Yowza, TH. We're not in Kansas anymore.

RR and Dirk, thanks for helping keep things going until we get more snow.

Christmas eve Mt. Eustis reboots. Probably much better now.

Local food coop chose last Feb to send all round-up donations to Mt. Eustis which is really cool and a significant amount of dough!

Random woods beauty.

Uh oh, company!

Only about a quarter mile of trail sharing so not too bad.

Roo surveys her domain...

...and likes what she sees!

Got away with some turns in there. Also ended up getting wet.

admin
Site Admin

from "Dirk"

Post by admin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:49 am

Those of us who prioritized skiing this morning, at the expense of our careers, were not disappointed. The first couple of runs were as good as it gets. This was our last lap through Hayride Woods at Stowe. Starting to get tracked out, but still plenty of powder.

admin
Site Admin

from "telehubby"

Post by admin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:52 am

I need to get my priorities straight too. I was working very near a well known BC haunt Thursday and didn't bring my kit. It snowed all day too. :x
I did make it out today and hope everyone else did too. Cold but beautiful!

Up

Emerging. I think I can see Mr. Rox from here.

70 foot tall me setting the skin track

My happy place

Even caught some air :shock:

admin
Site Admin

mic drop

Post by admin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:53 am

Mic drop TH! Amazing photos. What a location!
Gorgeous day. Loving the sun and cold and DRY snow.

admin
Site Admin

MGR

Post by admin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:55 am

A little before this pic was taken last week, around 9:30p, I saw what might be grouse crater in the snow - a divot filled back in with powder, ahead on the trail. It might have been a chunk of ice that had fallen from a tree, but just in case there was something about to go boom in there I started saying out loud, "Are you a grouse?" as I skinned toward it. I'm kicking myself for not pulling out the phone and filming the whole thing because sure enough when I got 4 feet away a grouse blew up out of the snow and the dogs went nuts. Next time.

Sunday eve.

They're calling...

admin
Site Admin

from "Dirk"

Post by admin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:55 am

Nice profile of the mighty Groton Range there, Bob! Knox, Knox East, Butterfield, Burnt and Signal, from left to right. I think.

admin
Site Admin

corn

Post by admin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:56 am

Children of the corn tour yesterday eve. We can get out of the truck and ski 8/10ths of a mile in a dead flat, straight line. Such is life along an agriculturally developed river bottom. (I still haven't found out why the corn we skied through wasn't chopped - stunted from flooding is my guess.) The CT is frozen now, but a few weeks back a similar tour included two beaver tail slaps from the river at close range, telling the dogs to back off. The problem with this tour is that Cooper eats the corn and then throws up at 2:30am.

admin
Site Admin

out the door

Post by admin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:57 am

Excellent out-the-door tour possibilities this morning with a sold refro base and a generous helping of fluff.

It's getting easier and easier to get over this fence. Need to get deeper into the woods on the bc rig this evening now that the base will support the dogs. I hope.

admin
Site Admin

skidders

Post by admin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:58 am

A bit south of there the skidders have been reeking havoc. Dog hurt her paw. I fell and got a good whack on the thigh. Three quarters of a mile of unhappiness.

But beyond that, it's heavenly. 6" of fluff on solid pavement. Perfect for man and beast. Easy to skin, fun to ski, and the dogs don't get bogged down.

This morning, I found myself over in the Groton Heights and stopped to check out the snow. Heck! There's a foot of fluffy on the base! Dirk, you must have pretty much the same thing. Was thinking about Signal this evening. Also Dirk, don't you owe us a Garfield tour report?

admin
Site Admin

new to me 1

Post by admin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:58 am

Got out of the house before 7 this morning with a tiny window to investigate a new-to-me tour before a work call. 30 min drive, hour tour, 30 mins back, feed dogs, call.

Dead reckoned on the groomed trails navigating toward the destination via a nearby visible mini-peak.

Came to a clearing I hoped I would find and set off up the hill into the woods for token turns.