Game on! '18-'19

TRs rescued from TelemarkEast before its demise
admin
Site Admin

local haunt goodbye

Post by admin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:59 am

Not enough juice to try anything significant this weekend due to jet-lag and head cold, but did get in a few miles of out-the-door tours.

coyote tracks over beaver den

deer bed sniff

the big woods

touring buddies

admin
Site Admin

moon 1

Post by admin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:01 am

You're a real connoisseur of that zone, Dirk. If I lived closer, I'd be right there with you - really like the texture and personality of those woods and hills. Your report made me realize that there are two Burnt mountains pretty close to each other. Burning mountains appears to be a thing.

Speaking of, did a supermoon tour of the Butterfield snow machine loop last night and it was wonderful.

The best part, by far, was approaching the far corner of that loop and seeing something on the horizon that initially I thought might be clouds, but it turned out to be the other Burnt mountain! It was a great NE scale wow moment looking up at that. That can't be a mountain, can it? It is! This photo doesn't do it justice, but you kinda get the idea.

The groomer had just zambonied the beginning of the loop by the time we finished so we got a few hundred yards of pristine trail conditions for dessert.

admin
Site Admin

winter bliss

Post by admin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:03 am

Beautiful winter bliss yesterday before the warmup.

admin
Site Admin

from "telehubby"

Post by admin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:04 am

Lovely images from all. I was in Suburban Boston on Saturday unfortunately and didn't get to enjoy the corker weather. On Sunday the whole family made it to Bromley for the Kåre Andersen Telemark Festival. It was a meager turn out due to the sideways freezing rain but still fun none the less. It was great to hang out with Grant and I even sighted and interacted with the elusive Downey in his natural habitat! Sol put in a good showing through the gates as well.

Not everyone stayed for the Almond cakes but there was a strong showing of the next generation! Let's hear it for the kids! There were at least five other juniors not pictured.

And we came home with mustard!!!!!

admin
Site Admin

mustard

Post by admin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:05 am

I'm not getting the mustard reference. Is there any other mustard than Fox's?

Thank goodness the telemark lineage is alive and well thanks to various committed moms and dads. I sent my daughter off to a semester at telemark high school (HMI in Leadville) and she came back a stronger boarder. Oh well.

The dogs and I snuck out for a tour in the last of the February sun yesterday.

admin
Site Admin

coyote

Post by admin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:06 am

I don't have much. Couldn't motivate for a single digits outing last night. Made it the night before. Snow machine trail. Blurry cuz was zipping downhill.

Dog found in the woods. Fed it treats. Took it home.

These are coyote.

admin
Site Admin

glazed

Post by admin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:07 am

In contrast: lift line Saturday at Mt. Snow, skiing with high school buddies. :)

Ice (and eye?) glaze yesterday.

From last week.

TH, also had a bout with the plague. Hope your lungs are on the mend!

admin
Site Admin

bridge

Post by admin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:08 am

Last night we spent a solid hour clearing slash from one of my favorite trails now that a logging operation has finished. A nearby bridge.

admin
Site Admin

slash clear

Post by admin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:10 am

I'm feeling the impending doom of the limited life of the dry snow. 7.5' deep is seriously deep though so maybe it's time to head north.

The work we did two evenings ago. Ruby is tired just thinking about it.

This afternoon.

Whoops!

admin
Site Admin

vast

Post by admin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:11 am

The bc snow conditions are kinda miserable. At least what I've tested which admittedly is a small sample. An inch or two of styrofoam on sugar. Not happy for man or 60lb beast. OK for 30lb beast.

I've taken to snow machine trails trying to stay in shape for corn or more fresh. Thursday night, half moon, no headlamp was delightful. Quote of the evening while bombing down an icy hill was "I sure hope there's nothing fallen across this trail!" Everyone should ski by moonlight. :mrgreen:

Yesterday I announced to my darling beloved that I needed her help dropping the hounds and I off at a snow machine trail north of here. Thankfully, she's always enthusiastic about getting us out of the house. Ruby points the way.

This trail goes for 10+ miles through my town. We did 6. What an amazing resource and only saw two snow machines.

Periodically joins roads for short stretches.

I have an order in with the guy who runs this sugaring operation. Yum.

Proud moment. Controlled butt-first crash before the trail ran out from a steep hill onto this road. The Twisted Tea bottle was there already. Really.

One of the highlights of the tour was watching Cooper, the 30lb dog, chase this 100lb+ English Mastiff up his driveway. He came down afterwards and everyone was friendly in an I seriously outweigh you sort of way.