Montañas Blancas Occidentales '17-'18

TRs rescued from TelemarkEast before its demise
Bob T

Montañas Blancas Occidentales '17-'18

Post by Bob T » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:45 pm

Tuckerbrook

Headed over to Tuckerbrook last night for the heck of it. Spoke to a plow guy at the Coppermine TH. He said that 13" had fallen. Quite a bit more than the CT river valley for this storm. We confirmed that total by breaking out the Coppermine to Tuckerbrook cross over trail. DEEP.

Dogs came out of that section wearing pants.

Got to TB and jeezum crow! The snowboarding hordes had plowed it.

Climbed until 9:15pm when we hit the end of our risk leash. Did not encounter Stoneman's deadfall, but we really didn't get that far. Plenty of snow up there, but heck, that trail sure does see a lot of fluffy paving traffic for mid-week. GPS track inserted here cuz it's in Goodmans. N.B.: you won't get towed if you park at the Coppermine TH. You will get towed if you park at the end of the TB trail. BTW, the Coppermine trail was completely broken out with lots-o-traffic extending up into the basin beyond the cross over to TB.

Bob T

Gamecam

Post by Bob T » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:46 pm

Gamecam caught us leaving. Click on the pic for the 10 second video version which comes close to capturing the feeling of the last week in the woods at night.

Chase cam. See what I mean about how close they are!

Stuck the landing.

Trailhead gear maintenance.

Not switch, but to the car.

Happy drive home.

Bob T

Plush

Post by Bob T » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:48 pm

7-Dec

10-Dec

14-Dec

16-Dec

17-Dec

Los amigos de la fortuna infinita have been out in the woods freezing our buttowskis off, clocking in mileage and vert, and actually getting some plush turns in!

Broken midstrap wire? CHECK! Figures that since the right one busted last year that the left one would snap on the first outing this season. Thankfully Village Ski & Sports stocks a million of them. Used RR's trick to finesse/yank on a new one. Officially stupid design. This should be an easy $15 part swap out on a $600 boot, Scarpa.

Solar-powered xmas tree in the middle of nowhere? CHECK! Unfortunately, I was sort of lost when the lights were strung and although I spent a fair amount of time skiing around in the general vicinity two nights ago, turning off my headlamp and looking around, I can't find it! Stay tuned for further developments.

Dogsh-t on skis? CHECK! Generally my dogs have good skin track etiquette. Coyotes most definitely do NOT, and love to poop in track. However, they're output is frozen solid by the time I encounter it and of no consequence. Someone, I'm guessing Cooper, violated the terms of our agreement.

Bob T

Polar

Post by Bob T » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:49 pm

Yesterday, way Eastern Western Whites - aka Pizzabox. Forced myself to do a 1 mile tour to check out trail conditions and get a general sense of the zone. Filling in nicely.

Pretty darn cold for 3pm.

Polar pup.

Frigid haze.

The headwaters.

Bob T

Mice

Post by Bob T » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:50 pm

Went to put on my boots the other day and the left liner had shrunk! Turns out there as half a cup of rice in the toe box! Setup a motion detecting camera in the basement and caught this guy in the act.

Mounted up yesterday to start working towards getting my pre-flu legs back.

The fluffy has been transmorgified into solid base pavement except that the watercourses are now open.

Nothing like a good ol' stump to chew on.

The audio for this pic is "RUBY YOU BETTER GO GO GO!". The snow was pretty fast and she loves to be out in front.