Thread to list crap for sale for the dozen or so of us here

A forum
oldschool

Thread to list crap for sale for the dozen or so of us here

Post by oldschool » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:20 pm

A mixed post - some boots available and a little story -

Boots - A person at my work has a pair of near mint Asolo Snowpines sz. 9.5 that he'd love to get $80. for - he sent me a photo which I can forward if you're interested - just PM me. Also, I have a pair of nice 3 pin ABC boots in about the same size that are owned by GoFish - he shipped them to me but they did not fit so asked me to try to find a buyer. If interested, PM me.

Story/Trip Report -

About 5-6 years ago or so I started doing trips in the summer with a small group of folks. The connection point for me was a high school friend that I've kept in touch with - about the only one - over the years. The group was going to ride across NYS on the Erie Canal Towpath/Bike trail. Being a bucket list item from my perspective if you live in the state, I was in. Since then I've gone with them for a bike trip on the KATY trail west of St. Louis and 60 miles of backpacking in a week in PA. This year they decided to repeat a trip they did in the past, a bike ride from Pittsburgh to Harper's Ferry on the Great Allegheny Passage and C&O Canal towpaths. The group changes a little from year to year but next year will mark the 25th year of the "Rolling Boils" of which I am now no longer a probationary but full member. This year's trip featured myself, another high school friend Brett who resides in Pittsburgh and was along on the Erie Canal trip, Anne, the younger sister of my other high school friend, her husband Mike, and Butch. Butch is the father of a friend of Mike's who could unfortunately not make this ride but more importantly is a major motivation for me - a retired PA state forester, Butch is 80 years young and perhaps the most fit of all of us. He walks 6 miles each morning and 2 in the evening every day and is very careful about what he eats and drinks. Day one for me was a 6 hr. drive to Pittsburgh, arriving around 11:30 pm at my friend Brett and his wife's building - they live in a loft apartment on the 7th floor of a converted Cork Factory. After a few beers on the terrace with Brett I hit the air mattress set up for me and the next day our trip got rolling. 25 miles riding around Pittsburgh along the river in the AM followed by an hour of kayaking in the river downtown. Dinner and beers after. Next day we biked to Ohiopyle on the Great Allegheny Passage - pavement and reclaimed railroad grade which is outstanding riding - very smooth for gravel, often tree covered and lots of sections parallel beautiful rivers. Amenities along the trail like bathrooms, etc. here and there as well as some spots to get water (and some sections you need to carry it). We take turns driving a vehicle with all our gear and a bike rack on the back - this year it was my minivan. I rode 63 miles that day, jumping at the chance to drive the 7 mile section between to spots near lunch (normally we do 3-4 20 mile long legs in a day with breaks between). Had a nice dinner with beverages at Falls City Brewing in Ohiopyle - not a craft brewery but they have many on tap and nice food. Stayed that night and the following at a cabin nearby owned by a friend of my friend Brett. Next day was a slack day around Ohiopyle - we hiked, ate lunch in town then went and saw Fallingwater - the Frank Lloyd Wright house which is close by. Following day we biked Ohiopyle to Cumberland, MD. This section goes over the eastern continental divide and the last 25 miles is steady downhill grade of what I think might be like 10%. Day after we rode to McCoy's Ferry along the Potomac - a campsite basically - last day was rain from 4 am on with it picking up during breakfast to a steady rain. I drove the car first and almost did not get out. Rode 15 miles by myself in the rain before we all called it and drove the rest of the way to Harper's Ferry where we had an Airbnb with hot shower waiting. Another great trip with my friends -

Bob T

Re: Thread to list crap for sale for the dozen or so of us here

Post by Bob T » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:58 pm

oldschool, great TR. I didn't even know there was such a thing as the "eastern continental divide". Looked it up after I read your report.

I have a bunch of "freebox" gear that I've been meaning to post on this thread. "Freebox" as in you pay shipping or drop by and pick it up, and that's it. No other costs. B was thrilled when I told her I was getting rid of quite a bit of gear from the basement. Then, predictably, that project stalled. At least the gear is now hanging out in the garage instead of the basement. Pics soon.

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:02 pm

Hey folks. My friend Ben is in need of some big boots (12.5 or 13) for thrashing around his woodlot. He's looking for anything from leathers up to a T3/T4 type plastic boot. Ping me if you've got anything. Thanks!

Also, when I get around to it I'll put up a list of gear that's just collecting dust. Stay tuned.

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:28 am

Random stuff for sale/free:

Crispi CX-Rs, 28.5. Skied hard, but no holes/defects. They come with the crappy stock Crispi thermoliners that have a weird useless powerstrap. I skied them with the 28.5 Raichle wrap liners (red), or you could use the 29.0 tongue Raichle liners (grey) for a roomier fit and theoretically better tour function. All liners can be re-baked. Free. Pick up in Barre/Montpelier area or pay postage.

Skis, left to right: Old crown base/metal edge Karhus, 190 cm with NNN binding. Why you'd want these I don't know, but if you do they're free.

Volkl Mountain Norbert Joos, 170 cm, 100/70/90, light at 5 pounds the pair. Mounted with pins for a lightweight skimo type setup, which (guess what?) I hardly ever use. I'd trade these for an interesting six pack.

Karhu Alice, 166, around 72mm underfoot, mounted with 7tm Power releasables. Technically, these aren't for sale, but my wife never uses them and might entertain offers, if you really want them.

Karhu Jak 179, 90mm underfoot, 7tm Powers. These are pretty beat, but still a fun ski in their day. They're rebranded Line Prophets. Trade for beer.

All skis are pickup only, I don't want to deal with shipping them.

Also for free but not shown, Riva cable bindings (short cable), original 7tm red releasable bindings, and a slew of Voile parts, including second generation CRB platform (release platform with binding plate) and various risers and heel lifts. Shoot me a message if you're looking for something specific.