Tracks!

A forum
Dirk

Re: Tracks!

Post by Dirk » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:57 am

I love your little videos, vt_trees. Do you tour with a camera crew, or do you rig up some kind of tripod thingy?

vt_trees

Post by vt_trees » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:00 pm

Dirk wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:57 am
I love your little videos, vt_trees. Do you tour with a camera crew, or do you rig up some kind of tripod thingy?
All videos shot on an iPhone by my wife, who also teles.

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:22 pm

Tracks of a different sort - classic tracks.

So Lee and I had been planning a trip to Whistler for months, and we were celebrating our arrival at the condo with a beer, when Vail shut the whole mountain down for the season. Not blaming Vail, but the timing was just too goddamn tragic for words. We weren't equipped for skinning, so we went to Whistler Olympic Park, site of the 2010 Vancouver Olympic nordic events. What a fabulous venue. And the Coast Range mountains in BC are staggeringly beautiful. The trip was a huge disappointment, but we still had some fun.

Bob T

Post by Bob T » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:53 pm

Oh my gosh, Dirk. That's disappointing. Great pic, though!

I was in Nepal the first 2 weeks of March.

Didn't get into the mountains. Maybe next time, after the plague. Where did winter go while I was gone?!

Enjoyed everyone's updates from afar.

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:19 am

Those are beautiful photos Bob. Glad you made it back okay.

vt_trees

Post by vt_trees » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:25 pm

Went on tour of Stowe today. Started at Mansfield base lodge, up to the Octagon, across to Cliffhouse and down Perry Merrill. Snow was variable depending on whether the sun had been on it. Did the entire tour without skins on my Vector BCs. This season has been a hate/love experience. Love the traction. Hate the weight. Thinking about trimming down the sides next year. Took the Nosedive Bypass which had untracked snow from earlier in the week. Steep and bumpy. Required jump turns to get to the bottom. Thought I was putting on quite a clinic on how its done. The group of 4 elderly women on snowshoes were unimpressed. A legend in my own mind I guess. Perry "Ferrell" was fantastic spring conditions. This may have been my last day of the season. Have to see what next weekend brings.

Even with the lifts closed there were plenty of people on the mountain. Skinners, snowshoers, hikers. This was the parking lot at 2pm when I left. Cars still streaming up the Mt. Rd. as I went down.

Bob T

Post by Bob T » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:47 pm

Very nice tour, vt_trees. If you had swapped snowshoes for tele skis with the elderly women they would have been way more impressed.

I haven't completely given up on skiing yet, but have not been on skis since late February. BUT, back then it was still winter! AND, there happened to be a lot of snow down near the CT river where I live. Kind of unusual because the local region is a snow hole. When we get that much snow the train compresses it and basically grooms the track. I can head out my front door and do a 5+ mile out and back and out the other direction and back only having to cross one dirt road. Could go many many miles further, but would have to cross a paved road and a highway underpass that means rocks for 50 feet.

Random pics from that same time...

Coyote tracks on beaver lodge.

Our favorite swimming 'hole'.

Small bears.

Telehubby

Post by Telehubby » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:12 pm

Whew! Nice to hear from you Bob. I was beginning to worry since the last we heard from you, you had just returned from over seas travel two weeks ago. Almost sent out a request for smoke signals from you.

Carry on

Stoneman

Post by Stoneman » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:39 am

I was thinking, this may be a good time to scout for new and unknown secret places. I don't know about up north, but down here, trailheads to every well known trail/walk are super crowded. Maybe time for some off the trail reconnaissance.

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:37 pm

A high-elevation snowstorm Thursday and Friday allowed Lee and me to get out on the Butterfield loop for one last tour. It was pretty darn fun. The snow was going fast though. A nice little surprise, and 100% Executive Order compliant, pretty much.