Tracks!

A forum
Dirk

Re: Tracks!

Post by Dirk » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:07 am

Finally, some snow! I took a twilight tour behind the North Branch Nature Center in Montpelier last night. The city is sled-grooming trails for skiing, snowshoeing and fat biking. They even set classic track in the field behind the Center, which is cool. There are some nice little woods shots off of the trails between North Street and the river. Nothing epic, but it's nice to have some decent touring so close to town.

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:36 am

There's a tricky rain crust east of the Greens, but I managed to get off a few turns Saturday. I got spoiled by the past two winters - areas that were wide open powder fields last year are actually thickets of hobblebush. I came across fresh moose sign at around 3,000 feet, a yearling by the size of the tracks. I hope he/she makes it through the winter.

Stoneman

Post by Stoneman » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:44 am

I managed to have a pretty good day out in the greater Eastern Franconia feifdom. About 5" new over a decent base. As Dirk mentioned, there was a bit of a buried crust, but once i was above about 2'500 ft i didn't see too much of it. We could use another foot of snow... but at this point i'll take what i can get...

vt_trees

Post by vt_trees » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:47 pm

Conditions in north Central Vermont were outstanding this weekend.

Saturday

Bob T

Post by Bob T » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:12 pm

Love that gif, vtt! Conditions in central look better than east vt/west nh.

Dirk, I may have been chasing your tracks around a day later.

Sunshine and full moon shots.

Telehubby

Post by Telehubby » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:56 pm

Less snow accumulated over here than west and north of us. So like a fool I went south and east on Saturday afternoon. Son the Younger and I still had fresh tracks though, even if they weren't deep. Time for a photo dump.....
I'm sure people recognize our spot.
Very thick crust under the fresh, fine for Son the Younger but not enough for me.
He's been working hard for the high school nordic team and couldn't resist this shot.
Early rise for a Tele race at Waterville on Sunday. Beautiful light on Cannon
David Goodman got in touch with me Sunday night looking for information on the Cooley-Jericho glades. Even though I warned him off a visit because of low snow he checked it out on Monday anyway. He liked the potential (if not the conditions) so watch for it in his next edition. I'll post some shots when it's in.

vt_trees

Post by vt_trees » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:48 pm

Here's one from Sunday. Taken above Daniel's Notch looking back at Smuggs and Mt. Mansfield. This photo was the highlight. Most of the rest was and epic slog. Pretty, but exhausting and not many turns.

robroymeans

Post by robroymeans » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:18 pm

Not exactly Frabjous Day in the Zone:
Oh that fresh snow,
oh that nice skin track under the fresh,
alas that crust layer defeated my not yet hale and hearty knee.

2,400 vertical feet gained in good style but the descent was not one for the record books. Still, I did saw away a couple of line blocking leaners so it wasn't a total loss.

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:09 am

vt_trees wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:48 pm
Here's one from Sunday. Taken above Daniel's Notch looking back at Smuggs and Mt. Mansfield.
That's an interesting perspective. I bushwhacked up Sterling Range Peak this summer and had a nice view south toward Daniel's Notch. It was apparent that there are personal lines scattered all over that range.

vt_trees

Post by vt_trees » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:56 am

Dirk wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:09 am
vt_trees wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:48 pm
Here's one from Sunday. Taken above Daniel's Notch looking back at Smuggs and Mt. Mansfield.
That's an interesting perspective. I bushwhacked up Sterling Range Peak this summer and had a nice view south toward Daniel's Notch. It was apparent that there are personal lines scattered all over that range.
I was hoping to come up the Daniel's Notch trail out of the Smugg's Nordic Center. Picked the wrong path and ended up one drainage over tho the left (north). Made my life a tad more difficult. Once I got to Daniel's Notch I came across recent tracks headed back down as well as four other skinners coming up. My goal was a point to point so I head through Daniel's Notch and down to West Settlement and onto Rt 15 in Johnson. About 7.5 miles in all. I believe you're correct that there are a lot of "personal lines" on the Smuggs side. I just don't know em.....yet.