Thing happening at, well, downhill ski areas

A forum
oldschool

Thing happening at, well, downhill ski areas

Post by oldschool » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:11 am

Can't quite bring myself to use the term "resort" as I prefer places with a little less bling and more connection to years past (history).

Just wanted to pass along a sad item at Whiteface in Lake Placid - the mid-station lodge had a fire this past weekend and most of the upper part of the structure appears to be completely gone. For those who had never been, the top floor had a kind of alpine multi-A-frame kind of roof and had a deck space outside with some picnic tables that was often a stellar spot for a beer and lunch on sunny days. I don't ski at Whiteface all that much but have been lucky enough to enjoy some superb days with family and friends there. I hope they rebuild this structure - I expect they will - hopefully it will maintain it's mountain character.

Hoping to get out for first XC of the season - often I'm snow blowing or shoveling but not enjoying our snows as much as I wish I could - hope to change that this year if mother nature cooperates.

FHW

Re: Thing happening at, well, downhill ski areas

Post by FHW » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:48 pm

Our little town of Wilmington NY was buzzing Saturday night when word came that mid was burning. Pictures like this were being texted around like crazy. My phone was blowing up. Seemed a little surreal. Somethings you expect to just always be there and they sort of blend into the background. I had skied the WROD that day and passed mid a few times without giving it much more than a glance. So it's a bummer for sure. BUT.....and this opinion is hardly universally shared, I think in the end it will be a net positive for the mountain. First of all, where the lodge was located impeded skier traffic through that area a bit. I think there's a much better spot for it at the same elevation about 100 or so yards to the South. Also, that structure was a bit long in the tooth and its functionality was poor, IMO. When they rebuild it, it will be better. Every mountain has a group of people who love to hang out and socialize more than ski (not judging) and the midstation main hall was that place at WF. And bluebird spring days on the mid deck were sorta cool but that experience can be easily recreated. There are a lot of people that are sad about this loss and I get that but I think in the end we'll have a much better building in a better location. For everything there is a season.

Nobody was hurt - which is huge.

And oldschool - Whiteface is in WILMINGTON, not Lake Placid. The coolest thing about Lake Placid is that it's really close to the Adirondacks! ;)

oldschool

Post by oldschool » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:38 pm

Thanks for the picture - kinda hurts even more though. I agree that they will be able to replace it with a more functional building - using the bathrooms downstairs was always a bit tight and the deck area was a bit limited from what I recall. I remember a couple occasions of warm spring days with this guy in a one piece green snowsuit who was all about grilling hotdogs and hamburgers and playing a boom box. I look forward to them putting something back in which I expect will occur this summer most likely. Yeah, Wilmington and not Lake Placid - thanks for the correction and I agree - really good that nobody was hurt.

FHW

Post by FHW » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:08 pm

oldschool wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:38 pm
I remember a couple occasions of warm spring days with this guy in a one piece green snowsuit who was all about grilling hotdogs and hamburgers and playing a boom box.
I think you're talking about Snake. There's a group of older folks that have been fixtures up there for decades. They're nice folk. Very opinionated. I imagine most ski areas have a similar set. They provide "local color". They always make me think of the James McMurtry song, "Just us kids".

Just us kids hangin' out today
Watchin' our long hair turnin' gray
Not so skinny
Maybe not so free
Not so many as we used to be

Telehubby

Post by Telehubby » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:00 pm

Seems I’ve been too busy to post for awhile, though I do a quick lurk once in awhile. I made it over to Mt. Abram for the Tele Fest that Jim Tasse is now putting on. Lots of old NET crew there. Ran into Bob Dow, Robin Roaf and Chris Goldsen Friday night at the bar while Jim was strumming some grateful music. Always good to see Jill Heath too, she taught some of the kids clinics when Grant couldn’t make it and freaks out at how much my boys have grown.
All is well with the NET crew even if it isn’t officially the NET crew any more!

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:15 pm

Hey, that's good to hear! I miss that crowd, particularly Robin and Bob. I don't miss getting up at 4:00 and coming home at midnight, or adjusting bindings in the freezing cold, but I do miss the people.

Telehubby

Post by Telehubby » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:31 pm

I’m hoping Bob and Robin will make it to Cannon this spring. I’m hoping some of his leathers and pins magic will rub off on me. I’ll give you a heads up if it happens.

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:48 am

Telehubby wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:31 pm
I’m hoping Bob and Robin will make it to Cannon this spring. I’m hoping some of his leathers and pins magic will rub off on me. I’ll give you a heads up if it happens.
Please do! I love Cannon in the springtime.