Random questions about ski stuff

A forum
oldschool

Random questions about ski stuff

Post by oldschool » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:25 am

My plan is to do more backcountry in the Adks this season. I have a 25 year old pair of skins that were used once on a Colorado trip but should be perfect for the 210 E99s that I have - those skis are waxless though. Hence my question - do skins adhere reasonably well to waxless bases? It's been a long time since I played around with these - any tips about putting them on? I do recall being able to walk up damn near anything with them on that trip though.

For anyone interested, the trip we did was about an hour from Fort Collins - there is a set of yurts that are in forest service land that can be rented/reserved through a company called Neversummernordic. Ruby Jewel is the hut we spent most of our time at. All the huts are about a mile or so from a forest service road that is plowed and all are connected by a closed snowmobile or ski trail. Each of the yurts has a chemical toilet outside, firewood underneath the yurt, woodstove inside, pots, pans and cooking stuff, propane stove and propane lamp, bunks with mattresses - you just bring your sleeping bag and food. I believe there has been some discussion about putting in a hut to hut system in NYS - I'd personally love to see something like this that is accessible by skiing/snowshoeing. Are there any yurt/hut touring systems in VT/NH?

Happy Holidays to everyone -

Dirk

Re: Random questions about ski stuff

Post by Dirk » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:51 am

Hut to hut ski touring in Vermont is not yet a reality, but this organization has big plans:
https://vermonthuts.org/

There are a few winter huts already, but they're not connected. There's a couple in Bolton, and a new one at the Chittenden Brook trailhead off of the Brandon Gap Road that accesses RASTA glades.

Maine has an established network of four huts that are linked by almost 50 miles of trail in the Flagstaff Lake/Carrabasset Valley area:

https://mainehuts.org/

Bob T

Post by Bob T » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:56 am

Skins adhere just fine to patterned bases. All bets are off on what 25 year old skins adhere to. Easy experiment to perform though!

oldschool

Post by oldschool » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:43 am

Thanks for the information Dirk - this looks great for a potential trip for me at some point -

Bob - yes, should be easy enough to check, been lazy since we have no snow on the ground right now. If they are dried out, I see that Black Diamond sells glue and G3 has a video and an iron on glue that looks straightforward to put on.