Cutler River Drainage to be Closed to Public Access

A forum
robroymeans

Cutler River Drainage to be Closed to Public Access

Post by robroymeans » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:10 pm

Tuckerman and Huntington Ravines will be closed on Monday, March 30, 2020.
This link explains: (https://soundcloud.com/ski-the-whites/m ... faPs9g9EyY)
I support the decision

Telehubby

Re: Cutler River Drainage to be Closed to Public Access

Post by Telehubby » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:55 am

Thanks for posting the link Rob. After the snow last week I was ready to skin and ski 11" of fresh at Cannon (8" in my yard). Son the Elder was up and ready to go with me first thing. No easy task for a college freshman to be up at 7:30. I pulled the plug for two reasons. 1. The freeze thaw cycle at Cannon with no grooming had made the trails absolutely nasty under the fresh. 2. Even though Cannon is my backyard and the powers that be stated "ski at your own risk", and the feeling that I could successfully ski the conditions, I know and work with a lot of the volunteers on Pemi Valley Search and Rescue, as well as Franconia Life Squad, I didn't want to be a part of the problem, or put them at risk. We did get out later in the day to enjoy the snow by wandering around the neighborhood fields, even made some nordic turns.

It's a strange new world and it will take a period of adjustment to figure out the new normal. Stay safe and stay well everyone!

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:10 am

Nice snowfall! You got lucky over there.

robroymeans

Post by robroymeans » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:08 pm

I have to move North!

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:15 pm

One by one, all Vermont resorts have banned uphill travel due to the high volume of skinners, many congregating in large packs. It's a shame that people have ruined a good thing by not maintaining safe distances from each other. I imagine the same is happening in NH. I'm racking my brain for ski touring options that don't violate a closure order, which I totally respect. Anybody got any bright ideas?

Stoneman

Post by Stoneman » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:43 pm

Honestly i think the best bet is for everyone to just let the season go.

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:17 pm

You're right, in theory. But it's only April 2nd! This is killing me.

robroymeans

Post by robroymeans » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:13 pm

Slackfest probably won't happen. Let that dry understatement percolate a bit....

Given that half the season never happened, doesn't that turn it into an asterisk and blend 2019-2020 into 2020-2021 as 2019*-2021?

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:06 pm

I'm hanging it up. Got one last ski in on some woods trails south of Bolton Valley. The bear tracks were cool. I'm hoping that this shitstorm blows over in time for Slackfest, but if not, well, there's always next year.

Bob T

Post by Bob T » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:34 am

Love those tracks!

Have been hiking with the dogs in the lowlands wearing an Indian pack filled with water. For physical conditioning. Like TH am on my local fire squad. Brush fire season is upon us. It’s completely crazy how as soon as you get a sunny day at this time of year brush fires break out. Like clockwork. Some due to people with burn piles that get away from them. Some due to unknown causes.